Category 1: Post Study Work Visa - Open
On August 8, 2018, the New Zealand Immigration Service issued a new graduate work visa policy: currently holding a graduate work permit and a 4-10 level study, you can get a three-year open work permit.
- Now hold the graduate open work visa, if your work permit expires on November 26th, you can apply for a 2-year open work permit after November 26th.
- Now hold the graduate open work visa. If your work permit expires on November 26th, you must apply for a 2-year Employer assisted work visa before the expiration date,and wait until November 26th. Turned into an open work permit.
- All students hold a 4-10 level course on August 8, 2018, or have already submitted a student application.
- After graduation, they can get a three-year open work permit (4-6 level must be a 2-year course).
All students who apply for the study after August 8, 2018 will be issued a work visa in accordance with the new policy.
Category 2: Post Study Work Visa - Employer Assisted
Graduates with a 12-month open work visa can renew a 2-year work visa if they find a job before they expire.
*Requires New Zealand company to provide work (need Job Offer)
*New Zealand qualifications must be related to work
Announcements for Post Study Work Visa – Employer Assisted:
1. Need a New Zealand company to provide work (Job Offer)
2. New Zealand qualifications must be relevant to work
3. Not all job opportunities will be recognized by the Immigration Department. In practice, in order to protect the local labor market in New Zealand, the immigration review of the employment relationship will consider the position and work content must be reasonable; also have certain requirements for the company or company that issues the job offer; for example, the company’s specifications, business types, The company’s history, business conditions, number of employees and other factors will be considered by the Immigration Bureau.
Category 3：Essential Skills Work Visa
The necessary technical work permit application is relatively difficult. The duration of this type of work permit varies from one year to three years (up to five years) depending on the specific work situation, and the expiration date has a departure period or other restrictions.
Required skills for work permit application conditions:
1. Full-time job Must be provided by New Zealand company(Job Offer required)
2. Provide a relatively reasonable salary
3. Self-employment is not a job opportunity
4. Applicants have relevant academic qualifications or work experience and can demonstrate that no New Zealand natives are qualified for this job, ie, through labor market testing, unless the long-term shortage list is met.
The labor market test is a way for the Immigration Service to determine that no local person is qualified for a job. Specifically, employers are required to advertise on a qualified recruitment platform. For each New Zealand citizen and resident visa holder who applies for the job, the employer needs an explanation one by one why he/she is not qualified for the job.
If the applicant’s relevant academic qualifications or work experience are on the Long Term Skill Shortage List approved by the USCIS, there is no need to prove that no New Zealand native is qualified for the job. The long-term shortage list has three elements, positions, qualifications and work experience. Many positions in IT, engineering, science, and medicine are on the long-term shortage list. The duration of such work visas varies from 2 years to 3 years depending on the specific work situation, and can be renewed upon expiration.
Category 4：Long Term Skill Shortage List：
It is required that there is a New Zealand company to provide Job Offer. Applicants with relevant academic qualifications or work experience are listed on the Long Term Skill Shortage List approved by the USCIS. There is no need to prove that no New Zealand native is qualified for this job. The duration of such work visas varies from 2 years to 3 years depending on the specific work situation, and can be renewed upon expiration.